Filipinos are used to stories of creatures that are half-human and half-animal, such as mermaids and the Tikbalang. The creation of the fantaserye Mulawin was considered to be a first in the country. Mulawin told the story of half-human, half-eagle people that must fight the Ravena, a half-human, half-raven people to protect the mortals from the latter, and of Aguiluz and Alwina who fall in love with each other.
The series was shown in 2004 and gained lukewarm response from the audience within its first week of showing. But after a few weeks, the story unfolded, the program gained bigger following and eventually became one of the top-rating fantaseryes offered by GMA Network. With Richard Gutierrez and Angel Locsin, who are both pleasing to look at, playing its lead characters, Mulawin became easy to watch and easy to love. Due to people's response to the show, the network opted for it to be made into a feature film and in December 2005, Mulawin the Movie became as an entry to the Metro Manila Film Festival.
Watch Mulawin Trailer:
video courtesy of myPinoyTV1
- Aguiluz - Mulawin, tasked by his father Aquilar to protect Alwina at all cost. Aguiluz is played by Richard Gutierrez.
- Alwina - half-Mulawin/half-Human, prophesied to be the Sugo who will unite the Mulawins and Humans and later joins forces with Mulawins. Alwina is played by Angel Locsin.
- Gabriel - Human , childhood friend of Alwina who had since developed a crush on her and is haunted by strange dreams. He was purified into a Ravena by Ravenum and renamed as a prince of Ravena. Later, he was turned back into human form. Gabriel is played by Dennis Trillo.
- Aviona - Mulawin, has a secret unrequited devotion to Aguiluz. Aviona is played by Bianca King.
- Vultra/Violeta/Veronica - Ravena, Queen of the Ravenas and wife of Rasmus. She transform herself into human and named herself Violeta to kill the Sugo. She also revealed as a wife of Bagwis and real mother of Alwina and later purifed into Mulawin as Veronica. Vultra, Violeta and Veronica are played by Ara Mina.
- Savanah - Human into Ravena, a social climber whose main goal is to get closer to Gabriel and his inheritance, no matter who or what stands on her way. Later, she joined forces with Ravenas as an evil princess. Savanah is played by Karen delos Reyes.
- Dakila - Mulawin, the aging wise leader of Mulawins. Dakila is played by Eddie Gutierrez.
- Ravenum - Ravena, surrogate father of Rasmus, real father of Aguiluz and Gabriel, and evil lord and ancestor of Ravenas. Ravenum is played by Michael de Mesa.
- Bagwis - Mulawin, protege of Dakila favored to be the next leader of Mulawins. He is a father of Alwina and real husband of Vultra, who later purified into Mulawin as Veronica. Bagwis is played by Zoren Legazpi.
- Habagat - Mulawin, brother of Bagwis who secretly longs to be the next leader of their race. He was joined forces with Ravenas and later confessed to Mulawins. He is also a husband of Linang and a father of Mulagat. Habagat is played by Romnick Sarmenta.
- Rasmus - Ravena, King of the Ravenas and second husband of Vultra. He was a Mulawin before turning into a Ravena and later purified back into Mulawin to join forces against Ravenas in the last war. He's also a best friend of Bagwis. Rasmus is played by Gary Estrada.
- Tuka - Ravena turned Mulawin, revealed as an adopted mother of Pagaspas and allies with Mulawins, played by Marissa Sanchez.
- Kuwak - Ravena purified into Human, joined forces with Tagubas and Mulawins, played by Bearwin Meily.
- Pagaspas/Gus - Night owl, an owl pet of Alwina who transform into a young boy when together with another owl, Lawiswis. Later revealed as an adopted son of Tuka, a Ravena who was purified into Mulawin. Pagaspas is played by Miguel Tanfelix; older Pagaspas is played by Rainier Castillo.
- Lawiswis/Wis - Night owl, an owl friend of Pagaspas who transform into a young girl when with him. Lawiswis is played by Sam Bumatay; older Lawiswis is played by Denise Laurel.
- Mayi - Mulawin, she can transform into a maya bird. She is usually sent to spy the enemies. Mayi is played by Isabella de Leon.
- Lourdes - Human, she finds the giant egg which when hatches, gives "birth" to Alwina. She is also considered a witch by the town people, and for that she leaves in the outskirts of Tierra Fuego. She was purified into Ravena queen by Gabriel, who was also purified into Ravena, and later turns in human form again during the last war. She was also a mother of Aramis and her husband was never mentioned. Lourdes is played by Amy Austria.
- Lucio Montenegro - Human, father of Gabriel. He is a ruthless landlord and the richest man in Tierra Fuego. Lucio is played by Lloyd Samartino.
- Terong - Human, a peasant in the Hacienda de Montenegro and best friend friend of Gabriel. Terong's death at the hands of the Ravenas later made Gabriel realize that siding with the Ravenas is a very wrong choice. Terong is played by Kiel Rodriguez.
- Niwalum - Mysterious being, a playmate of Pagaspas and Lawiswis. "Niwalum" is also a reversed name or word of Mulawin. The series reveals Niwalum to be the manifestation of the Mulawin's magical Molave Tree in human form. Niwalum is played by BJ Forbes.
- Avilan - Mulawin, a great warrior-hero ancestor of all winged humanoids, and from whose namesake the Mulawins derived their home's identification. Later, as spirit guide to Amihan in Encantadia. Avilan is also played by Romnick Sarmenta.
- Aguilar - Mulawin, a great warrior-hero and father of Aguiluz. Later in the series, Aguilar turns out to be just a mere "creation" of Dakila to hide Aguiluz's real identity and origin. Aguilar is also played by Richard Gutierrez
- Paloma - Mulawin, a mysterious Mulawin living in the city, and could transform herself into a real bird. Flashbacks reveal that she is the daughter of Dakila, and that she self-exiled because of a misunderstanding with him. She later dies, also at the hands of the Ravenas, shortly after she confessed her love to Gabriel. Paloma is played by Tanya Garcia.
- Biba - Human, a playful neighbor and a close friend to Alwina. Biba is played by Jaja Bolivar.
- Lino - Human, an orphan living with his grandmother. He wants to seek revenge against the winged beings for the death of his parents. Lino is played by Brian Revilla.
- Rosing - Human, grandmother of Lino. Rosing is played by Alicia Alonzo.
- Yolly - Human, mother of Savanah who would do everything to help her daughter achieved her dreams.
- Pamela - Human, bestfriend of Savanah. Pamela is played by Tricia Roman.
- Lucila Montenegro - Human, mother of Gabriel. She is a depressed suicidal wife of Lucio. Lucila is played by Pia Pilapil.
- Ina - Mulawin, mother of Aguiluz and the guardian of Molave Tree. Ina is played by Carmina Villaroel.
- Pericos - Dak-dak Eagle Riggs; Ang-ang; Ngas-ngas; Gad-gad
- Musangs - Kuskos Michael Roy Jornales; Musmos; Sakmal; Laab; Hampas
- Scouts - Procopio; Bianca
- Tagubas - Maningning Princess Punzalan; Estrella Christine Reyes; Oyayi Shermaine Santiago; Dalaginding Ehra Madrigal
- Encantadians - Ynang Reyna Giselle Toengi; Linang Sheryl Cruz; Mulagat Jay Aquitania; Muyak Nancy Castiglione; Aramis James Blanco; Florona Bettina Carlos; Marikit Katarina Perez; Mayumi; Pirena
- Balasik and Haraya - Haraya Geneva Cruz.
- City Orphans - Botchok and Ching ching
- Mulawin Tribunal - Daragit
- Young Alwina - Kristel Fulgar
- Young Aguiluz - Kurt Perez
- Young Gabriel - Paul Salas
- Young Aviona - Shammel Leask
- Caloy/Laki/Hidalgo - winged water buffalo.